The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) implements the National Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP) programme with funding support from the Government of Switzerland and in close partnership with the Ministry of Environment and Forestry and the Ministry of Industry. To support its programme, UNIDO is now seeking highly qualified national candidates to fill the following position:
|Title:||National Deputy Chief Technical Advisor|
|Main Duty Station and Location:||Bandung (Indonesia), with duty travel throughout Indonesia to be separately authorized|
|Start of Contract (EOD):||02 October 2017|
|Number of Working Days:||Full Time|
Duration of Contract: 1 year full time, with possibility for renewal and extension depending on satisfactory performance appraisal and continued project funding.
* Organizational Context*
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized United Nations organization that promotes inclusive and sustainable industrial development in developing and emerging economies.
UNIDO implements the global Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP) Programme in close cooperation. RECP concerns the application of preventive environmental techniques and productivity practices with the triple aim of improving the productive use of materials, energy and water; reducing the intensity of generation of wastes and emissions; and supporting human development (in particular through improved occupational, community and consumers’ health and safety).
This project post pertains to the National RECP Programme in Indonesia, which was initiated in 2012 with funding support from the Government of Switzerland. The Ministry of Environment and Forestry and Ministry of Industry are the main governmental counterparts in Indonesia. The primary target group comprises several categories of enterprises, namely small scale industries (focused on agro/food processing and textile sectors), industrial parks (focused on Batam and Makassar), tourism (focused on Lake Toba and Sleman/Magelang) and micro-enterprises (focus on rice mills). The enterprise demonstration activities are supported by project activities targeting innovation (in particular towards eco-industrial parks/industrial symbiosis and green chemistry and engineering), policy change and improved access to finance (www.recpindonesia.org).
The National Deputy Chief Technical Advisor is assigned to lead the implementation of project activities through the Centre for Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production Indonesia (CRECPI), based at the Institute of Technology Bandung in Bandung, Indonesia. She/he will work in close cooperation with the ITB appointed Head and Deputy Head of CRECPI and the UNIDO appointed Chief Technical Advisor, to form the executive leadership team for CRECPI and principal technical resource pool for the RECP Programme at large. By providing her/his expertise and exercising her/his leadership, the National Deputy Chief Technical Advisor is for the duration of the present contract mainly responsible for initiating, establishing, guiding, coordinating and reporting on:
(i) the industry-oriented training programme in RECP methods and techniques for associate RECP assessors;
(ii) demonstration projects in three small scale industry sectors (agro/food processing), industrial zones (Makassar and Batam), two tourism locations (Sleman/Magelang and Lake Toba) and at least micro-industry sector (rice mills);
(iii) industry outreach and advocacy, to support the wider consideration and implementation of RECP methods and techniques by industries in Indonesia;
(iv) review of present and possible future applications in Indonesia based on sustainability innovation concepts, in particular green chemistry and engineering and industrial symbiosis; and
(v) assessment of financing opportunities for RECP investments in particular in small and medium sized enterprises.
*Function and Key Expected Results*
The National Deputy Chief Technical Advisor will work under the supervision of the Project Manager based in the in Industrial Resource Efficiency Division at UNIDO headquarters (based in Vienna, Austria. She/he will work in close consultation with the UNIDO appointed Chief Technical Advisor and the ITB appointed Head and Deputy Head of CRECPI and the UNIDO appointed National Programme Officer (based in UNIDO office in Jakarta). She/he will provide day to day guidance and manage the further project staff to be appointed at CRECPI and/or delivering RECP services as associate RECP assessors of CRECPI.
The main function of the National Deputy Chief Technical Advisor is to initiate and manage the business service delivery and training activities under the Indonesian RECP Programme on a daily basis in an efficient and effective manner in close consultation with key government and industry stakeholders.
Master’s degree or equivalent advanced university degree with specialization in relevant engineering, applied science, business management and/or environment degree.
- Minimum of 10 years directly relevant work experience in industrial development and/or environmental and energy management and technology in Indonesia;
- Demonstrated familiarity with global green industry/economy and related policy agendas;
- Demonstrable knowledge of the industry sector in Indonesia, including its representative structures and stakeholders and the operating environment and challenges of enterprises, in particular Small and Medium Enterprises;
- Demonstrated track record of achievement as project manager, including at least 3 years in international project environment;
- Excellent communication, advocacy, drafting and facilitation skills; and
- Prior knowledge of and experience in application of RECP methods and techniques in enterprises is a strong asset.
(oral and written) in English and Indonesian
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN System in general, and specifically the UNIDO Green Industry Initiative and its flagship RECP programme and the affiliated global RECPnet; and
- Treats people and institutions fairly and without favoritism.
- Proven results orientation and accountable for contributing individually and as part of the national team towards their achievement
- Proven analytical capacity;
- Ability for planning and establishing priorities, steering and monitoring the work of others and delegating and assuming responsibility where appropriate;
- Resource-fullness, initiative and maturity of judgement; and
- Excellent computer/information system skills.
Management and Leadership Competencies:
- Strong results orientation;
- Effective problem solver;
- Demonstrated capacity-development and facilitation skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and positive-constructive attitude; and
- Flexible and responsive with a client-orientation.
*How to Apply*
Qualified women and men are encouraged to apply.
Expressions of interest including brief motivation and up-to-date curriculum vitae with three references should be received by Close of Business on 20th September 2017, by email to email@example.com
Applicants must indicate the position for which they are applying in the subject line. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Term of Reference of this position can be downloaded at http://recpindonesia.org/recp-vacancy